Analysis: Sharp tone, no gaffes in town hall debate – USATODAY.com

s?19=40004&7=1660&38=459875396

spacer.gif spacer.gif
USA TODAY emailthis-logo.gif

Powered by
* Please note, the sender’s email address has not been verified.
spacer.gif
You have received the following link from rjbbjb1@charter.net:
spacer.gif
Click the following to access the sent link:
etIcon.gifAnalysis: Sharp tone, no gaffes in town hall debate – USATODAY.com*
SAVE THIS link FORWARD THIS link
Get your EMAIL THIS Browser Button and use it to email content from any Web site. Click here for more information.
spacer.gif
*This article can also be accessed if you copy and paste the entire address below into your web browser.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-10-07-analysis_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip&POE=click-refer
Advertisements

14 Responses to “Analysis: Sharp tone, no gaffes in town hall debate – USATODAY.com”

  1. jbintenn Says:

    We really should be looking at the candidate’s track record and how they voted in the Senate to see where they will take us. We all know politician’s will say anything to try and get elected.

    Thus, based on the previous voting/track record we KNOW that Obama will raise our taxes as a whole….and McCain will fight to keep them down as a whole…….whether he succeeds or not is the question but at least we know he will try.

    With our economy flailing, raising taxes is NOT the way to go…period. Just ask Herbert Hoover. That is a fundamental fact that cannot be ignored.

  2. jbintenn Says:

    “john milton wrote: 2m ago
    JBinTenn2 wrote: 1m ago
    We really should be looking at the candidate’s track record and how they voted in the Senate to see where they will take us. We all know politician’s will say anything to try and get elected.

    Thus, based on the previous voting/track record we KNOW that Obama will raise our taxes as a whole….and McCain will fight to keep them down as a whole…….whether he succeeds or not is the question but at least we know he will try.

    With our economy flailing, raising taxes is NOT the way to go…period. Just ask Herbert Hoover. That is a fundamental fact that cannot be ignored.

    =======

    You can at least trust McCain to try and do what is right for the country, we know his track record. What has Obama done in his 1.5 years?? The answer is not much, and thus no track record to even account for. Obama is a complete unknown, except for his political rhetoric that might as well be on a tape recorder.”

    Agreed………..I just hope at the end of the day, most people will look at all the facts, use common sense and then vote their conscious. More than ever, we don’t need to be voting for someone just because we like the way they talk or the way they look or because they happen to be a Republican or a Democrat. Consider all the facts, match that with your gut/core beliefs, and then vote.

  3. jbintenn Says:

    “JBinTenn2 wrote

    we KNOW that Obama will raise our taxes as a whole
    ______________________________________________

    Obama said taxes will not go up for those earning less than $250,000 per year in an Obama administration. My adjusted gross income last year was less than 40 thousand dollars. Could Barack Obama be telling us outlandish lies about our taxes not going up? I believe Barack Obama would not tell us a lie that big! Could the repugnican swift-boaters be lying again? Definitely!”

    Yes he did say that and I am sure he will try. However, his record does not support this pattern…and that was my point. To me, that wins at the end of the day and therefore you have to take it with a grain of salt and chalk it up as “political speak” .

  4. jbintenn Says:

    “john milton wrote: <1m ago
    JBinTenn2 wrote: <1m ago
    "john milton wrote: 2m ago
    JBinTenn2 wrote: 1m ago
    We really should be looking at the candidate's track record and how they voted in the Senate to see where they will take us. We all know politician's will say anything to try and get elected.

    Thus, based on the previous voting/track record we KNOW that Obama will raise our taxes as a whole….and McCain will fight to keep them down as a whole…….whether he succeeds or not is the question but at least we know he will try.

    With our economy flailing, raising taxes is NOT the way to go…period. Just ask Herbert Hoover. That is a fundamental fact that cannot be ignored.

    =======

    You can at least trust McCain to try and do what is right for the country, we know his track record. What has Obama done in his 1.5 years?? The answer is not much, and thus no track record to even account for. Obama is a complete unknown, except for his political rhetoric that might as well be on a tape recorder."

    Agreed………..I just hope at the end of the day, most people will look at all the facts, use common sense and then vote their conscious. More than ever, we don't need to be voting for someone just because we like the way they talk or the way they look or because they happen to be a Republican or a Democrat. Consider all the facts, match that with your gut/core beliefs, and then vote.

    ========

    McCain's heart is in the right place. As a POW for over 5 years, there is no way this guy would ever do anything that would hurt this country. I can not say the same about Obama, he is so unknown. And someone else posted about Chicago and their problems, which is where Obama is from. He can't be blamed for all of that, but he sure as heck hasn't done anything to change it."

    Again….I agree. Senator Obama is a very likeable person and I really do believe he has a good heart and means well. However, there is just too much at stake at this time to 'roll the dice' and take such a gamble. We don't have the track record to look at for Obama as we do for McCain and we need to use that more than so that we can know how to vote and match it up with what the country really needs now.

    If Obama had come along twenty years ago or so, I might have taken such a gamble because the stakes were not near as high. I just can't afford to take that leap.

  5. jbintenn Says:

    “sasidechick wrote:

    I, too, think this was a very telling response. I think differently than you, however.

    Think about how they were brought up: McCain with a general father and the best of everything. HE IS USED TO HAVING HEALTH CARE AND NOT STRUGGLING TOO MUCH IN HIS LIFE. Obama, on the other hand, grew up with a single mother and seen on his own, later in life, how his mother fought with insurance companies to cover her condition (who doesn’t relate to THAT??) He believes that is a RIGHT.

    This really demonstrates that Obama is definitely more aligned with the American people than McCain is.”

    Actually I respectfully disagree……..maybe Obama is more aligned with most Americans on their personal struggles with Healthcare and this is a big issue but it does NOT make him an expert on what is the best way to proceed with this huge problem anymore than it makes McCain. It just comes down to a fundamental belief on whether we think we should have more government in our lives(Obama) or less (McCain). Most Americans at the end of the day would rather choose the latter, if at all possible. There are other ways to fix this than having a nationalized government run healthcare system. Can you say “Higher taxes”?

  6. jbintenn Says:

    “angryconservativ wrote: 1m ago
    I agree with Stan. It is obvious that Obama is a Marxist/Socialist and likes Hitler. And I’m not just saying that because I’m an angry conservative!”

    I would never go that far to say that about anyone unless we had 100% proof but it does beg the question about Obama’s relationships that he has chosen to get involved with in his past that should cause every one of us to pause for a minute and really do some soul searching. Is this the kind of poor judgement that is worth of the highest office in the land? There should be the highest standard given to this kind of thing and we already got burned when we turned a blind eye to this ‘character issue’ with President Clinton…..i.e. we had to endure the national disgrace and distraction of the Monica years. Obama’s choice of relationships, however, is at a new level or low standard because now you are talking about people who are considered ‘radicals’ at the end of the day by most people’s standards – conservative or liberal. That is scary.

  7. jbintenn Says:

    “DanS wrote: 2m ago

    John McCain Jokes About Women Enjoying Rape!

    WOW. This is the man we want running the country! I think NOT!”

    Look I’m really struggling with both candidates here. Neither one says much for either party, in my final opinion. But it is, what it is…………

    Lesser of two evils will by my motto for this election. Many of us fall into this category. In such dire circumstances as we have today, I can think of many other people that I would have preferred to be the Presidential nominee candidates and the timing of this could not have been worse because we need someone that is rock solid….neither candidate, in my view, even comes close.

  8. jbintenn Says:

    “Educated1913 wrote: 5m ago
    Tom Brokaw wasn’t a very good Moderator…He kept going off on them for going over time…Its his job to call TIME! THat’s was why McCain was like um just give me a signal when it’s time.”

    I agree and really none of the debates has met the standards of past debates and the moderators/format has had a lot to do with it. Jim Lehrer is by far the best but he was not as sharp as he has been in the past….

  9. jbintenn Says:

    “Joseman wrote: 1m ago
    Brokaw censored all the questions. Why? Maybe there were some Ayer, and Wright questions in the batch?”

    Your point is well taken. No one, except a few, has given this the kind of probing that it deserves when we are talking about candidate’s vying for the highest office in the land. When you look at this with no strings attached at face value, the question that has to pop in your head is how could a person who has had these kind of relationships with people of radical views be allowed to running on a ticket for the President of the United States? It goes against every fiber of my being and every fiber of what this country was built on. Yes, truly, I do mean these words and not just because it sounds dramatic……”God help us”. I am praying every day that His will be done. This is beyond human comprehension at this point and it has to be turned over to Him now…period.

  10. jbintenn Says:

    “EmoneyMocity wrote: 1m ago
    why does william ayers continue to walk around free if he is a terrorist?”

    Who cares? He will get labeled different things by different people but what matters is the truth….. The truth is that he is considered a ‘Radical’ by anybody’s definition. Unprecedented for a Presidential candidate to have shared an alliance with such a person. That is what needs to be kept “front and center” at all times concerning Obama. He has never explained this away…..how can you?

  11. jbintenn Says:

    “chrisfitz wrote: <1m ago
    JBinTenn2 wrote: <1m ago
    "Joseman wrote: 1m ago
    Brokaw censored all the questions. Why? Maybe there were some Ayer, and Wright questions in the batch?"

    Your point is well taken. No one, except a few, has given this the kind of probing that it deserves when we are talking about candidate's vying for the highest office in the land. When you look at this with no strings attached at face value, the question that has to pop in your head is how could a person who has had these kind of relationships with people of radical views be allowed to running on a ticket for the President of the United States? It goes against every fiber of my being and every fiber of what this country was built on. Yes, truly, I do mean these words and not just because it sounds dramatic……"God help us". I am praying every day that His will be done. This is beyond human comprehension at this point and it has to be turned over to Him now…period.
    ==========================================================================

    Or maybe there where tough questions on what newspapers and magazines that Palin reads, or that pesky little Witch Doctor, or the fact that her husband was part of a radical group that wanted Alaska to leave the United States, and that Palin did a welcoming video for this past spring.Or perhaps a question about the Keeting 5, and new reports about McCain being tied to the Iran-Contra Affair

    Both sides have plenty of skeletons in their closets"

    Exactly….you are helping to make my point. So what are we going to do about it? Are you suggesting that because both sides have presumed "skeletons in the closets" that we should just call it 'even steven' and go on? How is that going to solve anything? The issue is that we are talking about running for the President of the United States. Every candidate ought to be held to the utmost highest standard. We somehow lump all of this under the 'dirty politics' heading to be avoided at all costs and the truth is, we ought to all be demanding that all of this come out in the open and no less. Let's leave politics behind for a minute and not take sides….that is not what I am trying to do here. I want my candadite of choice to have all the skeletons brought out in the open and it is the least we should be asking. Do you?

  12. jbintenn Says:

    “McDesperate wrote: <1m ago
    McCain looked like an old man with a Napoleonic complex wandering around the stage saying, "My friends, my friends. . ." and not much more."

    I agree….he did look and act rather 'old' last night. I don't think that the ability to walk around served him well. He would have come across better standing behind a podium.

    But that still does not reach the level of being a 'deciding factor' for me as to who I will vote for. Much more important issues at stake than worrying about how 'old' a person looked or acted.

  13. jbintenn Says:

    “Texas Karate wrote: <1m ago

    Voter Opinions are flooding in and it does not look good for McCain!!!!!!

    The polls show voter reactions to the second Obama-McCain Debate:

    1. Obama looked much more Presidential than McCain
    2. McCain looked childish and disrespectful by pointing to Obama and saying "That One"!! This is close to being racist
    3. McCain looked angry by telling Tom Brokaw: Not you Tom relative to who would be a good Secretary of the Treasury. McCain was angry at being asked the question!!
    4. McCain had a painted on smile during the first 30 minutes, which turned back to his grumpy scowl as soon as he realized he was not doing well on the issues.
    5. Obama stayed on the stage after the debate, and worked the crowd just like Clinton would have. He and Michelle took pictures with the audience, shook hands and talked to many.
    6. McCain looked angry after the debate and left the stage as soon as he could. Must not want to associate with the average American. Maybe it was past his bed time. He certainly looked old and frail.
    7. Again, McCain looked disrespectful in refusing to shake Obama's hand when Obama extended it. Note that Cindy did shake Obama's hand when it was extended.

    Some of the above body language messages, are part of the reason the voter polls show that Obama won the debate 60% to 30% for McCain. "

    All of this is well and good but who cares at the end of the day or should we care about these facts vs. who will be the lesser of two evils and serve us better at the end of the day?

  14. jbintenn Says:

    I hate to say it as I will probably be voting for the “lesser of two evils” John McCain but I just watched Obama’s post debate stump rally today in Indiana and then watched McCain and Palin in Pennsylvania and they (McCain and Palin) look whipped. I think they know they do not have a chance now and McCain just looks tired like he does not have anything left in the tank.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: